Sarah Alderson Revealed
About Sarah Alderson
What is your birthdate?:11/25
Previous occupations:I was Head of Projects for a big charity.
Favorite job:Writing. I can't imagine going back into that world.
High school and/or college:In London. I went to an all girls' school called James Allen's Girls' School. The first thing we had to learn was where to put the apostrophes.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:I can't answer that. I think James Blake is pretty cool. And I'm loving Dry the River, Laura Marling and Seryn right now.
Favorite movie:I can't give you just one. Terminator, Aliens, Last of the Mohicans, Girls just wanna have fun, The Shawshank Redemption
Favorite television show:The Wire
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Hot Coconuts Ecstatic Music Happy Love Imagination Gratitude
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. The universe gives you all the ideas you need exactly when you need them
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Drinking a coconut, dancing with my daughter to music my husband (a DJ) is playing on the balcony of my house in Bali overlooking the rice paddies, with my best friend on skype and the Taco Delivery guy walking down the drive...
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Something happening to my daughter
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. I try to be happy wherever I am but my favourite place right now is my bed in Bali
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. I think in a past life I might have been a French revolutionary
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Probably my husband. He has such warmth and determination and his belief in outrageous potential is why we're living the life we are. Also he married me and is still married to me. That takes quite a lot of staying power.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Oh god I have so many regrets but then I remember you can't properly have lived if you don't have regrets. The thing is to shake them off, learn from them and move on. Fast. And try not to make the same mistake again.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I wouldn't mind Lila's talent. I'd like to be able to move stuff without having to move a muscle. That's because I'm lazy..
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Everyone in the Guardian always says 'my children' and I always think, 'That's original.' But now I'm being asked I'm going to say my daughter. She's amazing. And she's so polite. I'm not sure how that happened but I will take all the credit.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Interrupting people. I blame it on the fact my brain works really quickly. And people speak too slowly!
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Loyalty probably. And I am very much a get it done person.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I like being me but I wouldn't mind being Keira Knightley for the day.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My impatience. My husband even mentioned it in his wedding vows.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. I do like Katniss from the Hunger Games. She rocks.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. I'm going to say Demos from Hunting Lila. I actually have a bit of a crush on him. Wrong I know.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People standing on the left hand side of the escalator.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Dancing
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. I'm doing it. Otherwise I wouldn't mind being Alex Skarsgard personal stylist.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Positivity, humour and kindness
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Sushi
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Seriously? Just 5? La Vie en Rose by Grace Jones, Mr Bojangles by Nina Simone, Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, Cover my eyes by La Roux and I'm loving James Blake at the moment, if I had to choose one it would be Limit to your love. But 5? That's not fair.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Barbara Kingsolver
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. If this is a man - Primo Levi
The Poisonwood Bible
Senor Vivo and the Coco Lord
The Hunger Games
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Perfect Chemistry (for, ahum, obvious reasons).
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Don't stop writing. Ever.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. When's the sequel out?