Marion Dane Bauer Revealed
About Marion Dane Bauer
What is your birthdate?:11/20
Previous occupations:I was an English teacher both in a University and in high school. I was also Faculty Chair and part of the faculty in the Vermont College of Fine Arts Master of Fine Arts program in Writing for Children and Young Adults
Favorite job:Writing, writing, writing!
High school and/or college:I went to LaSalle-Peru High School, LaSalle-Peru-Oglesby Junior College, the University of Missouri and the University of Oklahoma
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:I have a hard time with favorites. I like a range of music, movies, books, etc.
Favorite television show:I rarely watch television.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Challenging, fulfilling, interesting, filled with gratitude and hope
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Life is a gift.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. A blue sky, lots of trees around, some water, someone I love close by . . . and, of course, a small dog enjoying it all, too.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Running out of stories I want to write . . . but it doesn't seem to be happening.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Right here in my home in front of my computer looking out the window at a spruce tree.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. The women who homesteaded the upper plains in the Midwest.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. But and and.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. I've made lots of misteps in my life, but there isn't much I regret, because all brought me to this moment.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I would love to be able to sing and to draw, to do carpentry and to fix a motor, but I have to be content with playing with words.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Arriving intact in my eighth decade, still open, still learning, still glad to be here.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I care about and am interested in other people.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Just me.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Pretty quiet.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Gilly Hopkins
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Walking outside and cooking.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. The one I have. I wouldn't choose another.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Emotional honesty, openness, empathy.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Read, read, read and keep writing and revising and writing.